The history of Bolzonella

Bolzonella is an ancient place name first recorded in the mid 13th century, when in Book IV of the Statutes of Padua, which allocated responsibility for taking care of certain bridges to the various villas, mention was made of the bridge in Bolzonella.

The term derives from “bolzon” or “balestra”, the Italian word for crossbow, and refers to a guard tower for crossbowmen. La Bolzonella initially belonged to the Carturo family: Benvenuto da Carturo was commissioned by the Republic of Padua to build the walls of Cittadella (1220). He then took the name of Cittadella, as did his descendants.

The fox – the emblem of Bolzonella – is a reference to Pietro da Carturo, known as Volpe (fox), famous at the time of the Ezzelinis for his military stratagems.

The Villa, whose origins date back to the 13th century, was nevertheless built later than the adjoining central tower, which dates from the 12th century, and it underwent a radical transformation in the 16th century. It was subsequently renovated in 1656 and finally extended towards the end of the 19th century.

As demonstrated by its positioning, right from the start, La Bolzonella stood out as a place dedicated to production, crop control and for storing the fruits of the land, rather than a place of leisure. This is revealed by the fact that more attention was paid to functionality that appearance.

Today, Bolzonella is farm that produces cereals and fodder used to feed a stable of dairy cows, focusing increasingly on self-sufficiency and quality, with a short supply chain.